Subject: Re: Miscellaneous OS features
To: None <gathorpe79@yahoo.com>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 08/04/2003 11:45:13
In article <20030803193432.70474.qmail@web41204.mail.yahoo.com> you write:
>Actually, I have been working on porting ppbus (in FreeBSD) to NetBSD
>and I have printing working for standard modes and fast centronics mode
>(this is all I can test because the printer I have cannot do EPP, ECP,
>or byte mode, nibble mode seems to work). This (ppbus) has actually
>been ported into NetBSD before, but it was either machine specific
>(acorn and a pc-like architecture I think) or otherwise inappropriate.
>
>I have no idea if it is welcomed or not but I would like to know
>whether I should continue to work on it if it has a chance of being
>integrated (ppbus in my port is MI and should work on anything that can
>provide some interface to a parallel port).

Yes, yes, and thrice yes!  Decent support for parallel-port devices would be
really nice to have, and it clearly needs to be done in an MI way so that
the rest of us just have to write host-adaptor drivers and can have the rest
Just Work.

--
Ben Harris                                                   <bjh21@NetBSD.org>
Portmaster, NetBSD/acorn26           <URL:http://www.NetBSD.org/Ports/acorn26/>