Subject: Libc and Directory Access
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Adam Lebsack <adam@lebsack.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/17/2003 18:25:16
Hey guys...

I know there was a rather heated topic about this a while back, but it
seems to have ended with no useful conclusions.

This concerns the state of dynamically loading nss_* modules.  I have
been thinking about this a great deal lately, and it is an huge feature
I'd like to see in NetBSD 2.0.  I am willing to try to code this, so
I'll detail my plan right here.

I believe we should use some sort of caching daemon, much like linux's
nscd.  However, the failure of the caching daemon would be a problem,
so I propose that nss modules should be compatible with both the
dynamic libc and the proposed caching daemon.  libc checks for the
caching daemon and if it isn't running (which may be the choice of the
user), it loads the nsswitch.conf and the proper modules into itself.

Is someone already working on this?  I know FreeBSD recently got
dynamic nss modules.  Anyone know if it works well?  Any feedback
before I begin would be greatly appeciated.

Thanks
Adam Lebsack