Subject: troff broken in current?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Sean Davis <dive-nb@endersgame.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/11/2003 20:17:33
I'm running current from july 9th, userland and kernel (and /etc) are all in
sync. BUT: I see this when trying to read the manpage for various packages:
<dive@eros(/home/dive)> % man gperf
man: Formatting manual page...
/usr/share/tmac/troffrc:21: can't find macro file `tmac.tty'
troff: fatal error: can't find macro file safer
<dive@eros(/home/dive)> % man figlet
man: Formatting manual page...
/usr/share/tmac/troffrc:21: can't find macro file `tmac.tty'
troff: fatal error: can't find macro file safer

and so on. I look in /usr/share/tmac, and all I have is:
<dive@eros(/home/dive)> % ls /usr/share/tmac
doc2html.tmac   hyphen.us       mdoc            troffrc
eqnrc           man.local       mm              troffrc-end

yet the 'troffrc' in there specifies a multitude of tmac files that didn't
get built/installed:
<dive@eros(/usr/share/tmac)> % grep tmac\\. troffrc
.ie r.X .do ds troffrc!ps tmac.Xps
.el .do ds troffrc!ps tmac.ps
.do ds troffrc!dvi tmac.dvi
.do ds troffrc!X75 tmac.X
.do ds troffrc!X75-12 tmac.X
.do ds troffrc!X100 tmac.X
.do ds troffrc!X100-12 tmac.X
.do ds troffrc!ascii tmac.tty
.do ds troffrc!latin1 tmac.tty
.do ds troffrc!utf8 tmac.tty
.do ds troffrc!cp1047 tmac.tty
.do ds troffrc!lj4 tmac.lj4
.do ds troffrc!lbp tmac.lbp
.do ds troffrc!html tmac.arkup

And doing a make in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/groff says:
<dive@eros(/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/groff)> % make
all ===> contrib
all ===> contrib/mm
make: don't know how to make
/misc/tools/20030706/share/groff/tmac/tmac.andoc. Stop

make: stopped in /misc/cvs/netbsd/current/src/gnu/usr.bin/groff/contrib/mm
*** Error code 2

Stop.
make: stopped in /misc/cvs/netbsd/current/src/gnu/usr.bin/groff/contrib
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/groff
Exit 1

1) did those files disappear, or were they never there with earlier
   -current's and are only required since the import of the newer groff?
2) I can find them all easily enough in the gnu source, why were they not
   installed? Someone else on #netbsd has this exact problem, so it isn't
   just me.

For reference, my system is updated via an autobuild script which does,
pretty much:
./build.sh -D /dest/dir -O /obj/dir build
and then it runs pax -wzvf /ftp/dir/userland.tgz rescue libexec lib bin sbin
usr var/db/obsolete in the destdir, to create a tarball that i can extract
on any of my netbsd/i386 machines to update userland on them. It's been
suggested that I use 'distribution sets' with build.sh, but that a) takes a
lot longer, and b) half the time (at least!) chokes due to flist
inconsistencies.

Any suggestions? I'd like to be able to read the manual pages for installed
packages again. They were working just fine before the new groff import.

-Sean

--
/~\ The ASCII
/ \ Email!