Subject: Re: "pciide0:x:0: lost interrupt" errors
To: Thomas Miller <tmiller@flex.com>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/07/2003 20:09:55
On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 07:30:10PM -0400, Thomas Miller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I get one of these every time I use my ancient cdwriter,
> but I only use it infrequently, and it seems to work
> okay after downgrading (see end of dmesg output below).
> I also see this error very occasionally, not even once
> a month, with respect to one of my hard disks.  It
> happens only during periods of intense disk activity,
> such as when rebuilding -current.  Sometimes there
> will be two of these errors immediately following
> one another, in which case I will see the same block
> numbers.  I think once there were three in a row.

While this doesn't help your situation any, I can say that I have also seen
the same kind of interrupt errors on a VIA chipset motherboard (it was an
Athlon, but had a VIA ATA100 controller) and they happened every time it
booted. It would immediately downgrade everything to PIO right after
detecting the hard drive, if I remember correctly, even though that drive
worked fine in other machines. I believe this to be a bug with VIA ide
controllers, or if not with the controllers themselves, in the driver for
them.

-Sean

--
/~\ The ASCII