Subject: Re: GENERIC.MP Alignment problem
To: None <>
From: David Dudley (by way of David Dudley ) (by way of David Dudley ) (by way of David Dudley <>
List: current-users
Date: 07/06/2003 21:02:24
On Sunday 06 July 2003 12:59 pm, you wrote:
> [sent to port-sparc, Bcc to current-users]
> On Sun, Jul 06, 2003 at 09:56:41AM -0500, David Dudley wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > After building and installing it, I get a message "Memory address not
> > aligned" when doing a netboot, and it then drops back into the openboot
> > prom.
> >
> > Any ideas about a fix?
> >
> > Back to single processor till it's corrected....
> Did you install a new boot sector ?
> I can't boot any current kernel on my SS20 (GENERIC and GENERIC.MP both
> fail), maybe you see another consequence of the same problem.
> In my case it just hang, no message, and doesn't react to stop-A

Can't say I did.  I just built the kernel as directed in
<>.  I ran through the steps in  "How to
build a kernel", and step 12 just says to copy the netbsd file into the root
to replace the old one, then reboot.  Was there more I was supposed to do???

It seems to run fine in single CPU mode, but sure would be nice to get the
 2'd one doing something other than generating heat.

BTW:  Why is it I can only post to this newsgroup using email?  When I try to
use the newsreader, it tells me I'm not allowed to post.