Subject: Re: new 802.11 driver: ADMtek ADM8211
To: NetBSD-current <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bryan P <u9@terran.org>
List: current-users
Date: 07/06/2003 20:33:29
On the distinguished day of Jul 6, David Young wrote:

> All,
>
> I've just committed to NetBSD my driver for the ADMtek ADM8211, a
> bus-mastering MAC for 802.11b. This is the first open-source driver for
> this ubiquitous chip.
>
> This is the chip that has brought the price of an 11Mb/s 802.11b radio
> *way* down. I just bought two PCI cards (LanReady WP2000) for $25
> each. The Cardbus cards are cheap, too.

Hello,

It's great to see this happen.  If you'll allow me a slight faux pas, I'd
like to piggy-back a question on this announcement: can anyone recommend a
decent wireless card (this newly-supported one included) to use in a
Cardbus x86 laptop running NetBSD-current?  I'm starting from scratch here
and would like to put an access point in my house.  I've never used 802.11b
before.

Thanks,
-bp