Subject: new 802.11 driver: ADMtek ADM8211
To: None <,,>
From: David Young <>
List: current-users
Date: 07/06/2003 19:10:13

I've just committed to NetBSD my driver for the ADMtek ADM8211, a
bus-mastering MAC for 802.11b. This is the first open-source driver for
this ubiquitous chip.

This is the chip that has brought the price of an 11Mb/s 802.11b radio
*way* down. I just bought two PCI cards (LanReady WP2000) for $25
each. The Cardbus cards are cheap, too.

There are some outstanding problems with the driver, which I describe
in the manual page.

ADMtek tells me that you cannot use the ADM8211 to produce a host access
point. It makes economic sense: they want to sell their access point
chip, the ADM8211B. I will try a few more things before I write-off the
possibility of an AP mode.

M. Warner Losh is going to do a FreeBSD port.

David Young             OJC Technologies      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933