Subject: Re: daily crashes with 1.6.1
To: Tim Middleton <x@Vex.Net>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 07/06/2003 18:40:27
On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 04:20:45PM -0400, Tim Middleton wrote:
> We were, however, having SCSI contoller problems when we first upgraded. 1.5.3
> ran perfectly (no hardware changes), but 1.6.0 and 1.6.1 releases would not
> work with the onboard STL2 scsi controller. We disabled it eventually in the
> BIOS and put in an adaptec card.

As those on this list will have heard me whine, the last time I had a box
mysteriously freeze was because the clever tagging of the new ahc driver
played badly with the scsi drives *which came with write-back cache enabled*.
All was well when this was switched off. (scsictl sd0 getcache)

Cheers,

Patrick