Subject: Re: plextor cdr problems
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20030705T101835@wsrcc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/05/2003 10:28:30
bouyer@antioche.eu.org (Manuel Bouyer) writes:
> On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 09:42:14PM -0700, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> > Jul  4 21:09:24 capsicum /netbsd:     SENSE KEY:  Illegal Request
> > Jul  4 21:09:24 capsicum /netbsd:      ASC/ASCQ:  Illegal Field in CDB
> > Jul  4 21:09:24 capsicum /netbsd:
>
> It's NetBSD trying to get a partition table from the disk. It's harmless,
> but I'm not sure how to make the errors not appear. The best would be
> to check the CD type before trying to get the partition table, but
> I don't know how t do it.

Ok, I won't worry about these printf's then.  While playing with
writing and reading audio CD's I had several kernel hangs and driver
hangs that required rebooting to clear.  I was hoping this error was
peripherally related and would allow someone to zero in on the real
problem, but I guess not.  Grumble.

For all I know my hands may be due to a hardware problem, although
I've done all I could do by using an 80-pin fine-pitch cable with all
those extra grounds.

One example of a program that hung the CD drive/driver was binary
"pxupdate".  It updated the drive's firmware, but hung at the end.
(Boy was that an "oh shit" moment!  The new firmware did make it onto
the drive, but it was unclear before the reboot. ;-)) Writing CD-TEXT
under plextor firmware 1.07 often hung the driver, but that may well
have been a firmware problem.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht 		     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/
(NOTE: The email address above is valid.  Edit it at your own peril.)