Subject: Re: replacing sendmail with postfix (summary)
To: NetBSD current list <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/04/2003 16:40:40
On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, William Allen Simpson wrote:

> (7) sendmail has a bigger memory footprint than postfix.

Even when master has spawned a variety of children doing different tasks?

> Someday, there may be system packages instead, but they aren't here
> yet, and nobody seems to be assigned to them.  Until then, this is
> the only viable solution.

In my opinion it is not the "only viable solution". Postfix or real
sendmail are not needed just to send email. (And anyways, their licenses
aren't good enough either, but that is a different discussion.)

On a side note: does a sendmail replacement have to know old, obsolete RFC
822 "addr-spec" before relaying to another server (or delivering locally)?
Is it okay if a simple SMTP client ignores the format (like spaces,
parenthesis comments, semicolons, colons, paths) of the email
addresses and just attempts to send as-is to smarthost/mailhub?

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/

p.s. My sendmail replacement doesn't know anything about strange RFC822
addr-spec.  It works fine for me to send email, but won't work out of the
box, because it wants to use a mailhub. I guess I should make it a little
smarter, so it can do the MX lookups itself ...