Subject: Re: Problem Building 06/27/2003 Source
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Toru TAKAMIZU <ttaka@earth.email.ne.jp>
List: current-users
Date: 07/04/2003 22:13:56
Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 10:42:09PM -0700
Bryan Vyhmeister wrote:

> #!/bin/sh
> export CVS_RSH=ssh
> export CVSROOT=anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot
> cd /usr/src
> cvs update -dP -D 20030627-UTC
>
> According to my understanding, this would check out sources from
> 06/27/2003 00:00:00 UTC. Is that correct? I also tried updating using
> the above script with this change just in case the above was not
> correct:
>
> cvs update -dP -D "2003-06-27 00:00 UTC"

You seem to be slightly confused. "checkout" is for the first time and
"update" after the "checkout". About "-D ...", at least the second
one is right. I have not tried the first "-D 20030627-UTC" format.
Anyway, you can check it by "cat /usr/src/CVS/Tag".

> I have also been wondering if using a command like the above can back a
> tree to that date. In other words, if I have a tree with 07/02/2003
> sources, can the above command take my tree back to 06/27/2003 sources,
> or do I need to check out a new tree from scratch?

You don't need to check out from scratch. -D "anytime" is what you need.
So in your case,

	cvs update -dP -D "2003-06-27 00:00 UTC"

under /usr/src. "man cvs" for more details.

> After checking out the sources, I tried building release several times
> with the build stopping each time while building tools with the
> following error:

<snip>

> Any idea what I am doing wrong? Thank you for your help.

Seemingly you are doing right. As you pointed out, releng.netbsd.org
implies that you can build from the source of this date.
But why don't you specify another date?

Best,
toru