Subject: Re: Proper Procedure for xsrc Release
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Bryan Vyhmeister <bsd@hub3.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/03/2003 10:24:22
On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 06:00:50AM -0500, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Bryan Vyhmeister wrote:
>
> > I am running a NetBSD 1.6U system from 06/27/2003 and I want to build an xsrc
> > snapshot for this system. I have tried the following:
> >
> > cd /usr/xsrc
> > env DESTDIR=/usr/home/dest RELEASEDIR=/usr/home/release make release
> >
> > This works all the way until the very end and then errors right before
> > making the tarballs. I should have written down the error but I didn't.
> > I was wondering if someone could share the procedure for creating a
> > snapshot release of xsrc. I want to be able to create tarballs for
> > NetBSD 1.6U along with a snapshot of xsrc also built on NetBSD 1.6U.
>
> That should work. I built a snapshot of 1.6U not too long ago (1.6T at
> least, I'm certain). Try again with UPDATE=yes, but capture the output
> this time. E.g, with a Bourne-style shell, like "/bin/ksh":
>
>     make DESTDIR=/usr/home/dest RELEASEDIR=/usr/home/release \
>         UPDATE=yes > mklog 2>&1 &
>
> or csh-style, for "tcsh" or "bash":
>
>     make DESTDIR=/usr/home/dest RELEASEDIR=/usr/home/release \
>         UPDATE=yes >& mklog &
>
> Note that you can set those variables on the "make" command line,
> rather than the environment, though they work as well either way.

I wasn't sure if you intentionally left off the release target for
make so I tried doing the following:

     make DESTDIR=/usr/home/dest RELEASEDIR=/usr/home/release \
         UPDATE=yes release snapshot >& /root/mklog &

This resulted in the following output:

make -f xmakefile Everything

Rebuilding XFree86 version 4.3.0 (27 February 2003).

Thu Jul  3 17:14:57 UTC 2003

cd ./config/imake && if [ -f Makefile ]; then       make   BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS="";  else        make   -f Makefile.ini BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS="";  fi
make: don't know how to make imakemdep_cpp.h. Stop

make: stopped in /usr/xsrc/xfree/xc/config/imake
*** Error code 2

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/xsrc/xfree/xc
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/xsrc/xfree/xc
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/xsrc
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/xsrc

Since that failed, I decided to try:

     make DESTDIR=/usr/home/dest RELEASEDIR=/usr/home/release \
         release snapshot >& /root/mklog2 &

That is working right now. I don't know if it will work or not.
I guess I will find out.

I did discover that the error when the build quit was an error
code 1 at the maketars point. I still do not have the full output
but I will probably have the output in a few hours when this
build finishes. Thank you for the help.

Bryan