Subject: Sysctl vendor fields
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Joel Baker <lucifer@lightbearer.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/02/2003 15:51:26
--GvXjxJ+pjyke8COw

So, as part of the ongoing project, I'm looking at creating local patches
that enable the vendor.<vendor>.* sysctl hierarchy. This does leave
a question, however, as to what the best way to work with this is;
sys/sysctl.h only defines 'vendor', and does not give any hint as to where
the proper place for vendor-tree values might be stored, or where the
support code for them belongs.

Granted, I can certainly come up with a place (sys/vendor.h comes to mind,
at least for the includes), but I was wondering if anyone could offer
advice on what the *correct* place would be.

It also appears that the only sane value for #define VENDOR_<foo> would
be '1' (rather than, say, an IANA enterprise OID), since it appears to be
linked to a static table definition. Is this correct?
--=20
lucifer@lightbearer.com              http://users.lightbearer.com/lucifer/

--GvXjxJ+pjyke8COw

--GvXjxJ+pjyke8COw--