Subject: Re: build followed by install can die?
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/30/2003 17:05:52
[ On Saturday, June 28, 2003 at 15:11:40 (-0700), Greywolf wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: build followed by install can die?
>
> I'd like it if there were an easy way (read: "a make target") which would
> enable me to regenerate my flist according to what I have built, -or- a way
> to generate a new flist AND tell the build procedure to use that one instead.

I've had an idea of how to get rid of the sets lists entirely, but I've
not had time to work on it and not heard back from the one person I ran
it by (presumably because he hasn't had time yet either).

Basically the idea is that the Makefiles are currently authoritative as
to what gets installed in DESTDIR.  (Unfortunately the sets lists are
authoritative as to what gets included in the distribution, and this is
where the conflict lies.)

We also now have a way of doing the DESTDIR install as non-root and
recording meta-information about all of the files that are installed.

All that's missing is that the meta information does not (yet) include
enough information to separate those files out into logcial "sets" (or
syspkgs).  It would be trivial to glue all this together -- just a bit
of a pain because every Makefile needs careful editing.  But it would
only need to be done once!  And I think it would facilitate very easy
translation from the current release(7) format to system "packages".

The real beauty and elegance of moving all of the set identification
information into the install commands is that big compile-time options
(e.g. NO_SENDMAIL, etc., etc., etc.) are all handled automatically and
gracefully!

I think even the obsolete lists could be automatically maintained this
way....

--
								Greg A. Woods