Subject: Re: daily (& security) mail not delivered
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/30/2003 14:49:06
> >3) run sendmail in non-daemon mode out of cron every so often.  This
> >   is what I had in /etc/daily.local before I moved to postfix*:
> >
> >    # cd to a safe directory in case something drops core.
> >    cd /tmp
> >
> >    # Send all accumulated mail (mostly needed on the slave machines).
> >    # This is only a fall-back if the mail failed to go out at the
> >    # time it was sent.  (This can block on wlan portables, added
> >    # ampersand. -wsr) send stuff from main queue (should be empty on
> >    # all but capscium.wsrcc.com)
> >    /usr/sbin/sendmail -q0 &
> >
> >    # send stuff from submit queue too.
> >    /usr/sbin/sendmail -Ac -q0 &
>
> you can run sendmail in non-daemon mode out of cron to flush the
> client queue to the smtp listener's queue, but that's it.  sendmail
> won't deliver directly out of the clientmqueue directory, so you'd
> have to start an smtp listener process at the same time.

Nearly, but not quite true.  If all your mail has to go via a central hub,
then you can set the SMSP to send directly to that:

	 FEATURE(`msp', `mailhub.mydomain')

(of course, your mail hub has to be prepared to relay internal mail, but
it has to be able to do that anyway.

But that doesn't work if you need local alias processing, since that's
only done by the main sendmail daemon, not the submission daemon.

This is all quite disastrous on low-memory machines, I now need sendmail
running on my machine just to be able to redirect local root mail to
myself (the main mail servers send root mail to the sysadmins), and that
daemon is wasting nearly a Meg of RAM and a process slot (according to
'top').  Postfix isn't any better in this regard.  It has something like
three daemons running in the basic dumb-client configuration.

R.