Subject: Re: build followed by install can die?
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/28/2003 15:11:40
Thus spake Robert Elz ("RE> ") sometime Thursday...

RE> That's because, for me it doesn't work, as I have the checkflist stuff
RE> deleted as being fundamentally stupid (for me -- its function for the
RE> overall NetBSD process is fine - that is, someone needs to run it,
RE> but that someone doesn't have to be me!)

Bingo.

RE> checkflist is guaranteed to fail for me, as my $DESTDIR has all kinds
RE> of stuff in it that isn't expected to exist in a "clean" build - it needs
RE> all this stuff as I want to be able to use $DESTDIR as if it were my
RE> installed system (as in the "chroot $DESTDIR"), so it ends up with all
RE> the extra cruft in it that always appears in average systems, which
RE> checkflist moans and bitches about - and then aborts the build...

Same boat, here.

I'd like it if there were an easy way (read: "a make target") which would
enable me to regenerate my flist according to what I have built, -or- a way
to generate a new flist AND tell the build procedure to use that one instead.

*sigh* so off to look into this am I.

RE> Having checkflist do that (for someone) is good, as it makes sure that
RE> files that are being built haven't been forgotten from the sets files.
RE> Aside from that one someone, no-one else cares if there's a $DESTDIR/usr/kre
RE> or $DESTDIR/home/kre or anything else "strange" in $DESTDIR.

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: Resistance is NOT futile!