Subject: Re: daily (& security) mail not delivered
To: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/28/2003 13:05:05
On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, William Allen Simpson wrote:
> > i think you're overinterpreting rfc1912.  i don't get the sense that
> > they intended for you to literally use "localhost.dom.ain" as a
> > hostname.
> >
> Page 14:
>       Translating 127.0.0.1 into "localhost.dom.ain" can cause some
>       software to connect back to the loopback interface when it didn't
>       want to because "localhost" is not equal to "localhost.dom.ain".
>
> Seems that "localhost.dom.ain" is not the same as 127.0.0.1 to me?!?!
> (Did I mention that I was in the WG discussion for the earlier drafts?)

I believe that that part of RFC 1912 is referring to software that
starts with the name "localhost", converts that to the address 127.0.0.1,
converst that back to the name "localhost.dom.ain", and then gets confused
when a string comparison shows taht "localhost" != "localhost.dom.ain".

--apb (Alan Barrett)