Subject: Re: Somethings steals space from /
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Juergen Hannken-Illjes <hannken@eis.cs.tu-bs.de>
List: current-users
Date: 06/26/2003 22:24:49
On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 09:54:57PM +0300, Arto Huusko wrote:
> My VMWare problems continue...
>
> It seems that when I'm running VMWare, it "steals" space from /. That is,
> free space left on / (as reported by df for example) falls depending on
> how much memory VMWare is configured to use.
>
> Note that VMWare is not creating any files on /. Also, output of
> "du -x" and "df" do not agree.
>
> For example, just now I ran "du -x", and it reports on the last
> line "38761 ." while df shows 182505 used blocks on /.
>
> This is kind of a bummer, because this limits severly how much
> memory I can assign for VMWare.
>
> And this is on -current 1.6T, sources from beginnig of June.

VMWare uses a file to backup its memory. This file is created and unlinked
in /tmp or TMPDIR or the tmpDirectory variable of ~/.vmware/preferences.

Because it gets unlinked after creation, "du" will miss it while "df"
reports the allocated space.

--
Juergen Hannken-Illjes - hannken@eis.cs.tu-bs.de - TU Braunschweig (Germany)