Subject: Re: libpthread
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/25/2003 12:48:45
Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com> writes:

> I'm quite the bit surprised that we didn't go the 1 thread to 1 LWP route
> before adding M:N as an additional feature.  Going 1:1 first would not have
> meant "doing it wrong" or "doing it the non-NetBSD way"; it would simply
> have meant "doing it in stages."  So why not insert a 1:1 code path as
> default now, to gain stability, and resurrect M:N in NetBSD 2.1?

The LWP infrastructure is in place. Have at it.

Like many things in this project, threads were done this way because
the first person who got around to it - me - wanted to do it this way.
If you want it done differently, you get to do it yourself, not tell
other people how they should spend their time.

        - Nathan