Subject: Re: libpthread
To: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/25/2003 07:12:00
On Wednesday, June 25, 2003, at 05:27  AM, William Allen Simpson wrote:

> I've now read the above mentioned papers, and the Solaris 9 white paper
> (from May 2002),
>
>   http://wwws.sun.com/software/whitepapers/solaris9/multithread.pdf
>
> and have concluded that 1:1 is the direction NetBSD should head.  As
> the
> Solaris paper says:

I think it's important to remember that Solaris's M:N implementation
was particularly poor; it did indeed suffer from performance problems,
and a host of other issues.

They were, however, artifacts of their particular implementation of
M:N, not properties inherent to the M:N strategy.

It's also important to remember that there is at least one other
commercial M:N implementation (which also uses Scheduler Activations):
Tru64 UNIX.  My experience with that implementation is that it was
quite good.