Subject: Re: init: can't exec /bin/bash for /etc/rc: Exec format error
To: felix@students.poly.edu, Brian Rose <lists@brianrose.net>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 06/25/2003 05:24:53
On Tuesday 24 June 2003 22:24, felix zaslavskiy wrote:
> > I did move bash to /bin so that I could have access to it in single user
> > mode. But I did not modify root to use bash by default. I remember
> > hearing of dire consequenses to those modifying the default root options.
>
> I like to know what these dire consequences are because the first thing
> i do when i install netbsd is install bash and change default shell for
> root to /usr/pkg/bin/bash

Since bash is a package it could be removed, even if by accident.  Imagine
doing a "make update" there (possibly as part of updating something else) and
the compile fails for some reason.  Suddenly you can't log in as root.

I too prefer the bourne style shells over the csh ones and also change the
root shell on my systems.  However, I change it to ksh so that I am always
using one of the base system shells.

> I never had a problem on three machines i been using.

You never have a problem until you have a problem.  :-)

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@netbsd.org>
http://www.NetBSD.org/