Subject: Re: init: can't exec /bin/bash for /etc/rc: Exec format error
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <netbsd-current@dberg.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/25/2003 02:39:04
On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 01:58:51AM -0400, Chuck Yerkes wrote:
> Unless, as I do with zsh and tcsh, you build it static.
> but I still type "sudo zsh" to get it.
>
> default root shell really doesn't wanna be changed.

  Thoughts on two separate entries in /etc/master.passwd--mostly
similar to each other, just different in username and shell--as a
possible solution?  I have

  root:...:/bin/sh
  rootz:...:/usr/pkg/bin/zsh

and use rootz for day-to-day stuff, but use root (whose entry is
unmodified) for instances in which the .so's aren't available.

  I suspect maybe that isn't a recommended approach, because it
winds up generating noise in the daily security e-mails; but it
seems fine otherwise, so I'm curious what the cons are, if any.

Cheers,  --Dave