Subject: Re: libpthread
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: current-users
Date: 06/22/2003 18:51:48
On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 12:49:53AM -0700, Michael Graff wrote:
> Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org> writes:
>
> > FWIW, bits like fsck, ifconfig and even ps don't break when you
> > have older userland then kernel.
>
> Sure they do.  1.6 fsck checks too many bits and requires they be
> zero.  A -current kernel sets those bits, so after mounting read/write
> the fs will not fsck cleanly.

This is true for 1.6, but not for 1.6.1 I guess.
And the fact that fsck checked too many bits was a bug, as it breaks
filesystems extentions designed to be backward compatible (by using
unused bits in the various structures, which are there specifically
for this purpose).

There is one problem left (PR 21283), which needs to be fixed before 2.0

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>