Subject: Re: running -current in production (was: libpthread)
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/22/2003 10:44:22
Richard Rauch wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 02:37:53PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > The problem is that there are often so many highly desirable features in
> > -current, and such a long time between formal releases, that running
>  [...]
> Confusing "support" with "code in -current" causes problems, I think,
> both for -current users and for non -current users.  The feature may
> be there, and someone may be supporting it, which is close to the same
> thing, but...one shouldn't treat it quite the same.

I don't understand why 6+ months is spent coming out with a "patch" 1.6.1
version, instead of a designated set of features for 1.7 version.  It
seemed to be about the same amount of work!

Once upon a time, in another place, patch versions were released at
least monthly (even weekly), cued to fixing specific bugs, but no new
features.  Instead, NetBSD seems to have "pullups" to "stable".  In a
production environment, that'll never fly!  Need very specifically
labelled milestones.

It may be time to re-think the production schedule.  I know you'll
hate hearing this, but OpenBSD seems to do it, why not NetBSD?

--
William Allen Simpson