Subject: Re: libpthread
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: current-users
Date: 06/21/2003 07:07:55
Hm...

-current has always been known to me as the "version" that is not even
guaranteed to *compile* on a given day.  It compiled?  It compiled!
Great.  So it crashes, what did you expect?

I've avoided running -current for a long time because I didn't have a
machine that I was willing to have crash and burn.  Now people are upset
that---horrors---it *can* crash and burn?

Yes, it's too bad that -current isn't stable enough to use daily.
But it never was billed as such.  Worry if people start to cut
a 1.7/2.0 release from today's -current.  (^&

People are migrating away from NetBSD because the unstable/officially
maybe-not-compiling -current is buggy?  Let them run a release.  If
the releases are not advanced enough and -current isn't close enough to
a release's quality, maybe they should consider another OS.  Waving
panicking users in order to get the (by definition) unsupportable
-current into shape for production use seems inappropriate.

FWIW, I am not experiencing crashes with my -current laptop.  (Cross eyes,
dot tea, and knock on wood...)