Subject: Re: build.sh parameter confusion
To: NetBSD current list <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/19/2003 08:03:26
Luke Mewburn wrote:

> The "auto selection of TOOLDIR" is one area I'm still not satisfied
> with; I explicitly set TOOLDIR but I know that many people don't.
> I need to think about the ramifications of changing the method that
> TOOLDIR is determined to be similar to how the defaults for DESTDIR
> and RELEASEDIR are determined.

I cannot figure out the defaults for DESTDIR.  Where is it?

Building in /usr/src, no -O, -M, -R, -D:

  /usr/obj
  /usr/obj/tools
  /usr/obj/release

Building in /home/current/src, still:

  /usr/obj
  /usr/obj/tools
  /usr/obj/release

I'd really prefer a default of:

  /home/current/obj
  /home/current/tools
  /home/current/release

Others probably have other preferences.

> (IMHO, there's also a bunch of "flexibility" in the build system that
> predates build.sh and arguably could be removed where it simplifies
> the maintenance of the build system and there's a "better" way to
> solve that problem, but I fear the howls of protest will be loud
> and never ending.)

I think we need to understand it, document it, figure out how releng
actually uses it, and then worry about simplifying.

--
William Allen Simpson