Subject: Re: updating, build and install order
To: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/17/2003 21:52:26
Thus spake William Allen Simpson ("WAS> ") sometime Today...

WAS> No, the only thing I wanted to know was whether a new kernel would
WAS> affect the building of userland, and the answer appears to be "yes",
WAS> but only in a negative way (a tool no longer working).

That's strange, to say the least, seeing as kernels -- especially GENERIC
ones -- have all the BC options in them, and should be able to handle
the shift easily.

I don't see, incidentally, that sshd is a tool involved in building
userland unless you're cross-compiling, and even then...

WAS> Thus, the documentation needs to be changed to do all the builds first,
WAS> kernel and userland, and then do the install.

To me it could go either way, personally.  I like the idea of being able
to roll back the kernel and try the kernel build again before building
userland.  Most kernels are not, as has been pointed out, forward compatible
to an advanced userland, and most of what will have been installed as
a new userland will likely fail spectacularly.

I typically just build everything into The Spare Hierarchy and reboot from
there and run for a while before migrating -- or, if the PROM/BIOS support
it, I just switch over and make the other set of partitions the spare one.
Not everybody has this luxury.

WAS> I've found a couple of other nits in that web page, I'll write up a PR.

				--*greywolf;
--
Microsoft:  Living proof that Borg screw Ferengi.