Subject: Re: Should I update the toolchain with every new build?
To: Nate Hill <vugdeox@freeshell.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/17/2003 13:02:14
On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 12:02:59PM -0500, Nate Hill wrote:
> I'm a recent -current user (running first build now) and I'm wondering about
> the frequency of toolchain updating versus distribution building.  Due to
> some ambiguities in documentation, I'm wondering if the toolchain I built the
> first time would survive another source update/build.  In general, I'm
> wondering how often I should update the toolchain if I plan on updating the
> source tree and distribution approximately every two weeks.

If you're looking for a time-based method, "every time".

A simple optimization to that is, "when any of the tools change."

The most accurate answer is, "when any of the tools change in such a way
that it affects the build."

Obviously, it's not always obvious to identify the last--especially if
you're not reading everything on source-changes.  Major changes will be
noted and probably discussed here, though.

To ramble a bit more: If you have a reasonably fast box, and you're
updating every two weeks, just go ahead and build the toolchain every
time.  On x86, the kernel complies take longer than anything else.

-allen

 Wasabi Systems, Inc.             http://www.wasabisystems.com/