Subject: Re: updating, build and install order
To: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/17/2003 08:37:37
On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, William Allen Simpson wrote:

>  (2) build kernel
>  (3) install kernel
>  (4) reboot
>  (5) build userland
>  (6) install userland
>  (7) reboot
>
> I'm thinking that it might be better to move (5) immediately after (2).
> That way, the window for userland incompatibilities would be smaller.

I don't think that matters: the code doesn't change (unless you chose to).

> Is there a subtle reason why a new kernel must be installed before
> building a new userland?

Many times, I have upgraded both at same time. (When using already-made
binaries when doing an upgrade it is usually always rebooted with new
kernel and new userland at the same time.)

One reason to reboot with just new kernel, is if it fails for some
reason, you can switch back to your old kernel. But if you had new
userland with old kernel, things like ipf, sysctl, top, ps, et cetera,
possibly could fail.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/