Subject: Re: What is a CRITICAL bug in send-pr
To: Hisashi T Fujinaka <htodd@twofifty.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: current-users
Date: 06/14/2003 15:19:25
On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 11:20:15PM -0700, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:
> I am being personally flamed, via email, because I was under the
> mistaken view that a non-booting kernel is a "HIGH" and "CRITICAL"
> problem. I am a user, not a developer, so I just went by what the
> descriptions in send-pr, and the man page, told me to do.
>
> The problem, I have later found, only affects certain Asus motherboards.
> Since I only have one machine running current at this time, I was
> unaware that other people didn't have the same problem. I've seen such
> problems not get reported (people use older kernels, etc), so I just
> took the intiative to send a pr. And now I see why I shouldn't, I get
> email telling me that unless my machine is "hacked" or "went up in
> flames" I shouldn't use "CRITICAL" as the problem level.

Well, if you have a machine that used to boot, and no longer does because of
a change in the OS, HIGH/CRITICAL is probably OK.

> I suppose I'll just quit sending prs and just hope Greg Woods doesn't
> respond to this email.

Greg Woods isn't more than a NetBSD user. If you got flammed by him, we
(NetBSD developers) can't do much about this, and what he says isn't
necesserely right (not to say what NetBSD developers says is
always right either :)

Please keep sending PRs when you notice problems, it's almost the only way to
get them corrected.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>