Subject: Re: What is a CRITICAL bug in send-pr
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Geoff Wing <mason@primenet.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 06/14/2003 11:18:12
Hisashi T Fujinaka <htodd@twofifty.com> typed:
: I am being personally flamed, via email, because I was under the
: mistaken view that a non-booting kernel is a "HIGH" and "CRITICAL"
: problem. I am a user, not a developer, so I just went by what the
: descriptions in send-pr, and the man page, told me to do.

Your choice of severity may well have been correct.  However, you sent
a PR - with hardly any detail - so other people can't gauge if your
judgement is true.  You had it handled over the next four or five
days - which is pretty fast given the number of volunteers working
on the NetBSD project - and where those people have asked you for more
detail and, no doubt, in future you'll have a better idea about what
detail to add.  That's OK, you'll learn.  Don't worry about it.

:                                                               I just
: took the intiative to send a pr. And now I see why I shouldn't, I get
: email telling me that unless my machine is "hacked" or "went up in
: flames" I shouldn't use "CRITICAL" as the problem level.

Sending a PR is fine.  If other people, with good knowledge of the area
you are reporting a problem in, deem that the problem is negligible or
no longer relevant they'll let you know and downgrade the severity (if
worthwile) or close the PR.

Regards,
--
Geoff Wing : <gcw@pobox.com>