Subject: Re: Vlans with fxp nics
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Peter Eisch <peter@boku.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/11/2003 23:14:05
The switch is a dell 3024.  Note though, I was scp'ing OUT through the fxp1
interface.  Unless the ACKs coming back were huge, the issue shouldn't have
been from the switch to the host.  The switch was seeing nothing but
malformed frames.  Every so often something would trickle through, but
nothing reliable.

This spun me off to another site where I have 1.6 with the ipf patches
running on a Dell 350 (600MHz celeron, built-in fxp's).  Lo and behold I
have issues here too.  So it's not a 1.6 or 1.6.1 issue specifically.  On
this second site I also have a cisco 7204 running 802.1Q to  the same
switch.  Not a single "Packet Error" on that port  in 116 days.  On the
netbsd box though I have fxp0 is non-trunk and fxp1 in a trunk/vlan config.
BOTH ports have some serious errors here too.  500,000 over the same period
on the non-trunk port and 2,000,000 errors on the trunk/vlan port.

So cisco is happy with talking to the dell switch comparatively speaking:
97,660,566 packets with 486 input errors all CRCs.

I have a decent config for  testing this.  What should I look  at next or
try?  Perhaps slip a tlp card in to see if the driver for that behaves
differently?

Thanks,

peter