Subject: Re: devfs, was single user mode file comparisons
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/09/2003 14:26:13
Thus spake Bill Studenmund ("BS> ") sometime Today...

BS> What exactly would hardwiring names mean?

Means that sd0 will still point to one of (in order)
- wherever I have hardwired it;
- the first SCSI disk on the first SCSI bus probed.

BS> As long as a device has the same locator, it would automagically get the
BS> same name, ownership, and permissions. That's the point. :-)

I wouldn't want, say, /dev/sd0a to shift locations on me.

And I'm not enthused about referencing something I've known as sd0
when it moves to sd1.

BS> One open question, with anything that uses locators extensively, which
BS> we don't really need solve until we get closer to code, is what happens if
BS> we change locators/have a discrepency between the userland tree and the
BS> kernel tree. This is a question of policy, so we'll need to be flexible.
BS> My suspicion would be that if you get what looks like something moving
BS> around, you just move it. For insance, you move your SCSI card over one
BS> slot & either leave the old slot empty or put something else there, things
BS> just adapt. Not sure what to do if the SCSI card just disapears..

I'd have to see some more examples of this...

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: a devil of an operating system.