Subject: Re: how do I build a debugger (-g) instbin in the build.sh world?
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/09/2003 15:38:53
[ On Monday, June 9, 2003 at 20:00:17 (+0100), David Laight wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: how do I build a debugger (-g) instbin in the build.sh world?
>
> > I know all that and that's what I'm asking:  Is there an easier in the
> > land of $TOOLDIR to build "instbin" without stripping debugger symbols?
>
> I presume you mean 'ramdiskbin'?

No, I really do mean "instbin" -- the product built by/in distrib/miniroot

but I believe they're essentially the same thing, with the same problem.

> I have though of changing makefile.crunch so that the unstripped
> binary is kept in the build tree.

That would be a very good idea!  Much better than trying to re-build it
later.

>  This would give certain diagnostic
> features.  However you don't stand a chance of getting a source level
> debugger to run on a crunched binary.

Well, actually you do (or at least I do :-), at least once the generated
makefile has been "fixed" so that it doesn't strip debug symbols from
the .cro files.  Then it's just a matter of setting STRIP=: on the make
command-line and rebuilding once more to avoid the final strip of the
completly linked binary.  After all that gdb "Just Works".

> Source level debugging is for wimps :-)

Machine level debugging "just for fun" is for sadomasochists with too
much time on their hands!  ;-)

--
								Greg A. Woods