Subject: Re: single user mode file comparisons
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/09/2003 13:24:26
[ On Sunday, June 8, 2003 at 17:26:42 (-0700), Greywolf wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: single user mode file comparisons
>
> This implies that if one were to allow mortal chown via some definition in
> the kernel, chown would be installed in /usr/bin?  This makes no sense.

Yes, and thus it was in a real "UNIX System (TM)".  (/bin in V7 through
to at least UNIX System V Release 3.2 and of course /usr/bin in SunOS-5)

> You might argue it moot, but as I understand it, the only reason that
> chown is not allowed by a mortal user to give files away is under the
> conditions that quota operates.  Since the set[ug]id bits are cleared
> upon donation, I see no reason not to allow the owner of a file to give
> away a file (but I'm sure I'm missing something).

You're right on both counts.  :-)

(assuming you mean "when there are no quotas in effect" for the latter)

*BSD systems, which implement quotas, take the safe route and simply
prevent chown(2) from ever being used by mere mortals no matter whether
quotas are actually in effect for the underlying filesystem or not.

--
								Greg A. Woods