Subject: Re: consensus on systinst partitioning
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/09/2003 09:31:29
Thus spake Wojciech Puchar ("WP> ") sometime Today...

WP> >  #1 some believe that one important method is a swap and a single
WP> >     large partition.  Three label examples were proposed:
WP> >       a) workstation (single user)
WP> >          Default layout (best for first-time users)
WP> >          Monolithic
WP>
WP> please not "workstation".
WP>
WP> monolithic looks best, default layout OK too.
WP>
WP> but "workstation" sounds like redhat linux installators.

What's wrong with "workstation"?  It's easier to say "workstation"
than "one data + one swap".  Besides, is not "workstation" usually
preceded by an OS qualifier when in doubt?

WP> why not just "One data+one swap"
WP>
WP> >
WP> >  #2 many believe that one important method is divided partitions, with
WP> >     /tmp, /var, /usr, /usr/local, /usr/pkg, and /home, each in a
WP> >     separate partition.  Two label examples were proposed:
WP> >       b) server
WP> >          Advanced layout (asks questions to determine best layout)
WP>
WP> Advanced layout or "many partitions".

"server" is easier to say and gets the point across just fine.

This "one partition" vs. "many partitions" label is likely to come across
less clear to those who run and install systems on a regular basis,
and it will look like we don't know about what we speak.

WP> so please no menu titles like "workstation" or "server" as it doesn't
WP> explain partitioning but just typical use of machine...

Perhaps, parenthetically, add the "single partition" or "multiple
partitions"...

And I'm sure that sysinst will, in David's capable hands :), expand to
handle multiple spindles for an install.

Dare I say we might actually take a lesson from Sun's installer,
at least for disks, on that point.

The trick is, of course, to rebuild that from scratch.

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: Flexible and free!