Subject: consensus on systinst partitioning
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/09/2003 09:18:59
It appears that the group has reached consensus on the questions asked
about the direction of systinst partitioning.

 #1 some believe that one important method is a swap and a single
    large partition.  Three label examples were proposed:
      a) workstation (single user)
         Default layout (best for first-time users)
         Monolithic

 #2 many believe that one important method is divided partitions, with
    /tmp, /var, /usr, /usr/local, /usr/pkg, and /home, each in a
    separate partition.  Two label examples were proposed:
      b) server
         Advanced layout (asks questions to determine best layout)

 #3 there is little support for a third method.  Instead, both of the
    above methods should display the resulting layout and allow
    custom modification of the underlying default.

 #4 systinst should always display the commands that are being
    executed.  Before each step, systinst should display text
    explaining the next steps.  The current text needs updating.

It appears to me that we should let the fellow take the consensus, and
chose his own labels, and write his own text.  After all, he's doing the
work!  We can modify the result after we've seen the concrete details.

--
William Allen Simpson