Subject: Re: cpg values in disklabel
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/08/2003 22:37:26
Thus spake Frederick Bruckman ("FB> ") sometime Today...

FB> On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Raketnet wrote:
FB>
FB> > NetBSD by default with sysinstall, time ago partitioned the partitions with
FB> > cpg values of "86". Everytime I run newfs on a new partition now, it doesn't
FB> > format a new partition using by default 86 as value even if I force it before
FB> > editing this value with disklabel. Is there something changed here, about how
FB> > cpg behaves?
FB>
FB> Yes. From the description of "-c" in newfs(8): "The default is to
FB> compute the maximum allowed by the other parameters", but you can
FB> specify a different value (using "-c").

I would argue that this is potentially a bug, or at least a misfeature.
newfs should look at the last cpg used for the partition and use that
value; if one is not present, it should ONLY then decide that it knows
better than you do about CPG.

Alternately, there should be a flag to newfs to force it to read CPG from
the partition map; absent the flag, it will decide that it knows better
than you do about CPG.

FB> Frederick

				--*greywolf;
--