Subject: Re: Rototil of sysinst partitioning code
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/06/2003 13:55:07
Thus spake Greg A. Woods ("GAW> ") sometime Today...

GAW> Please don't try so hard to twist things around and make it appear that
GAW> completely unrelated issues are caused by including /usr on the root
GAW> filesystem when they are clearly not.

Greg, I hate to say this, but I think you have your head in the sand
on this, which is really a pity.  Anything that doesn't match your
sense of what should be right, you tend to dismiss as irrelevant and/or
baseless and/or derisive.

GAW> > But with monolithic /, I first may not notice 12 core files in /.
GAW>
GAW> Again, that is simply not possible if you've configured the _rest_ of
GAW> your system properly.

Your logic is flawed.  A 40 GB root partition which encompasses the
entirety of the system just does not lend itself well to troubleshooting
when things go wrong.

As far as your F.U.D. argument goes, see my head-in-the-sand comment
above.

GAW> Please do not try so hard to mis-represent this issue!

He's not misrepresenting it at all.  You are choosing to see it as a
simple separate-root-and-usr issue; he's arguing that root should not
be monolithic.

In fact, given your interpretation of "don't make root monolithic" as
"don't consolidate root and /usr" (there was something else here which was
related which you also interpreted as "don't consolidate root and /usr"),
I think you have some serious subliminal issues surrounding the
root-and-usr-or-not problem which need to be addressed at a more personal
level.

I will reiterate:  It's easier to crunch stuff together than to split
it off.  Don't force me to crunch it together if I don't want to,
and don't pretend that you know better than I do what works for me,
because you don't.  I dare to presume, too, that I am not the only
one who feels this way.

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: It spanks the knickers off those other operating systems.