Subject: Re: Single user mode files (was: Rototil ...)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/06/2003 14:55:56
William Allen Simpson wrote:
> IMHO, passwd really should be in /sbin.  And chmod, more & less, and
> other really basic file commands, should be in /bin.

I meant chown, as chmod already is in /bin, and I'd expected chown to be
there, too....

While I'm writing, I suppose I ought to mention that some of my
expectations are leftover from OpenBSD.  Since OpenBSD was branched
from NetBSD, presumably some of these decisions to move things out of
/bin and /sbin were deliberately made in the past few years.

But others, such as ipsec, are new and are the kind of thing I'd expect
to be in /sbin (but are in /usr/sbin in NetBSD).  I tend to think of
both ipsec and ip filtering to both be security services (ipf is /sbin).

So, as you are thinking about where to put what, better consistency
would be nice.
--
William Allen Simpson