Subject: Re: building -current on FreeBSD fails
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: current-users
Date: 06/06/2003 15:56:53
On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 21:06:43 +1000, Luke Mewburn wrote:

>   | As Luke already reaplied, I can only add that the correct thing to do
>   | is to verify if the host's sys/endian.h provides the functions/macros
>   | we need.  In practice, it's probably simpler to just always use
>   | comapt defs.  E.g. FreeBSD 4.8 doesn't provide htobe64/be64toh.
>
> Let me guess; it provides some of the endian macros though?

Yes.  And the header is recent, it was not there in FreeBSD 4.6.
After I upgraded my FreeBSD box to 4.8 I build with the overriding
ac_... in the environment to force the compat macros to be used.

> I've known for a long time that the way that tools/ "configure" runs
> its checks isn't optimal, since it often only tests for one function
> in a suite and assuming the rest are or are not available.

Yes, we've already been through that with e.g. vis.h (and we used to
check just for the header presence).

SY, Uwe