Subject: Re: Rototil of sysinst partitioning code
To: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 06/06/2003 09:22:01
> Ooops.  That PC is finds the kernel past the 8GB
> line.  Sorry!

I have every intention of adding code to stop the root partition
going above the CHS limit on i386 systems (and any other limit
any MD code sets).

> Ooops, you've been backing up to /dev/rts0 for the last
> 6 months.  /dev/ has a 20GB file in it that's overwritten
> every night (I went into a client who's tapes worked
> working for a recover and found that typo:  rst0 != trs0).

Yep, since /dev is almost always in /, a full / can easily
be caused by a mistyped rst0.
IMHO /dev shouldn't contain any files (someone move MAKEDEV ?)

> Oh, something's gotten very big and taken up my 40GB file
> system.  I wonder what?

That will always happen, it doesn't make much difference which fs
is full - unless you need to protect the system for users.
(give each user his own filesystem?)

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk