Subject: Re: Rototil of sysinst partitioning code
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/05/2003 16:59:26
On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 12:05:53PM -0700, Greywolf wrote:

> It's up to the individual, of course, and I can see where / and /usr
> make a good merge now (but don't enforce it, please, by doing
> something stupid like making dependencies on /usr being mounted in
> single-user mode!),

I'll try and work the contrapositive.  disk space permitting, a single
partition has always been possible under unix, as far as I am aware.  so
how far can things be split out?

what is the minimum partition required for single user mode?

on a recently born 1.6.1 machine:

/altroot
/amd
/bin
/dev
/etc
/kern
/mnt
/net
/root
/sbin
/stand
/tmp
/usr
/var

besides /bin, /sbin, and /dev, what else is necessary on the root
partition for single user mode?

can everything else be mounted from separate platforms?

where did /kern come from?  it's not mentioned in hier(7) on 1.6.1 at
all.

/stand is empty.  will it be filled in a future 1.6.x release?

      "It's not fast, but why not?"  --  John Klos on VAX dnet client
  "because it needlessly contributes to global warming?"  --  Paul Vixie