Subject: Re: Rototil of sysinst partitioning code
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/05/2003 17:10:21
On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 01:57:43PM -0700, Greywolf wrote:
> 	- THEN determine sizing.
>
> It's not totally trivial, but it's not rocket science, either.

I think a lot of the words in this thread come from the fact that
choosing the sizing is a a personal choice and therefore falls under
"telepathy," not "rocket science."

This is why it seems to make the MOST sense to me to have a simple
*default* that will work, if not optimally, at least reasonably for
the average single-user workstation.  Note the word "default" -- no
one is trying to mandate that it be the only option available.  Those
of us with a lot of experience, and those setting up multi-user and/or
server and/or development systems should be able to change things as
necessary.

What you've suggested, though, of first selecting what is to be
installed does make sense.  Ideally, you should be able to arrange
everything before saying "go"--moving back and forth between package
selection and disk(s) selection and partitioning, but that's a pretty
complete rewrite, I think.

-allen

 Wasabi Systems, Inc.             http://www.wasabisystems.com/