Subject: Re: Rototil of sysinst partitioning code
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/05/2003 12:15:16
Thus spake Greg A. Woods ("GAW> ") sometime Today...

GAW> That's a very ignorant and completely baseless argument.

New, well-fitting shoes, I see, Greg.

GAW> Putting everything, or even just all of the non-varying base OS
GAW> components as most of us suggest...

Wow, have you cloned yourself?  I don't see a "most of us" out there
arguing in favour of this; I see it as pretty evenly split, myself.

I have my POV, you have yours, both at extreme ends of the scale.
In between there seems to be a balance.  In fact, as long as we don't
do something stupid such as mandate that /usr be present at single-
user mode (a la Sun, in SunOS 4.x and later (that was the STUPIDEST
move!)) [and don't mince words, here -- you KNOW my intent!], I'll
capitulate and say that / + /usr isn't that bad anymore.

But to put everything under / is not a bright move.

GAW> in one root filesystem has nothing
GAW> whatsoever to do with whatever you or anyone else might think is wrong
GAW> with GNU/Linux.

...or SysV, or Solaris, or HP-UX, or...

Point taken, but they're the ones who have advocated stuffing everything
under /.

I really hate it when stuff gets dumbed down like that.  Give 'em tools
to figure it out easily, give silly examples which demonstrate clearly
why things work the way they do.  But don't dumb it down too far --
if they're not inclined to make the effort to even attempt to lay out
a system in a reasonably intelligent manner, then they really should be
using a different system -- one that will hold their hand all the way
through the installation process and right into the wrist-shackle of
apathy.

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: Net Some Nines.