Subject: Re: Rototil of sysinst partitioning code
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 06/05/2003 08:30:50
> We shouldn't even be THINKING about determining partition sizes
> in autoconf mode until we have determined what we're installing.

Probably true - Maybe the build system could work out the size of
each set so sysinst could get the right answers for the sizes!

However I'd not dug that deep.  It has taken me a week to get
most of the architecture replicated stuff consolidated (please don't
just copy a file to make a 1 line change.....)

> At the minimum, we should have /, /var, /usr and swap; anything
> left over goes to a hog (/export)?  OR have I been spoiled by Sunisms
> over the years?  It works, nonetheless.

When did /export come along? not than long ago.  home directories used to
go in /home (actually I suspect into /usr longer ago) before moving
to /export/home.

To have separate /var and /usr you need to know what the system will
be used for.  This can only be known by the person installing it.

If you actually run the code, you'll see that I've really merged
'custom' with the other options (I should probably delete custom)
so you always get to choose your file system sizes.

> /var doesn't get that big?  Hm.  Where's db/pkg live?

$ du -s /var
1200102 /var
$

> I still don't think consolidating / and /usr or, more especially, / and
> /var is a particularly bright idea.

/var (and /home) have not been separated by default (at least on i386).
To someone who is installing for the first time 'all the space in one fs'
will make them less unhappy later on.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk