Subject: Re: Rototil of sysinst partitioning code
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/04/2003 19:20:46
On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 06:20:01PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Wednesday, June 4, 2003 at 21:54:24 (+0100), David Laight wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: Rototil of sysinst partitioning code
> >
> > But you have reminded me that I was going to let the MD code pass in an
> > upper limit for the root filesystem.  This would enforce another filesystem
> > (probably defaulting to /usr) to be used for excess space.
>
> "/var" would be a _FAR_ better default choice for any "excess" space.
>
> Personally I think "/var" should always be created by default, though
> ideally I'd like to see sysinst handle multiple drives long before we
> worry about what other default partitions are created.

/var would be a nice directory to have 'size limited' by being it's own
partition, however:

On a personal use machine, /var won't get that big.

/usr/{pkg,pkgsrc} get big quickly, given the size of mozilla, kde, etc
that people tend to install these days.

If / might be constrained in size due to BIOS issues, those /usr
contents will fill /.

So, /usr seems like a better choice to me, for a 'first partition after
/, if / is limited because of the BIOS'.

							David