Subject: Re: Environmental Sensors on A7V333
To: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20030529T132903@wsrcc.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/02/2003 19:25:45
On Fri, 29 May 2003, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:

> cjs@cynic.net (Curt Sampson) writes:
> > I don't have access to my Athlon machine right now (it's running memory
> > tests rather than NetBSD) but there are two things you might want to
> > look at. First some of the older BIOSes caused Windows to report wrong
> > (too high) temperatures, so this might affect this program as well. Use
> > at least version 1007 of the BIOS on a A7V333.
>
> Although netbsd probably doesn't go through the bios to read the temp.

I feel it's unlikely that Windows does, either. I'm suspecting it's
something in the way the sensor is set up by the BIOS. But who knows?

> > Second, I can't see whether the second number above is the
> > motherboard monitor for the temperature of the CPU or the CPU
> > monitor. (There are two sensors for CPU temperature, one external
> > and one internal.) You may be looking at the wrong one.
>
> I'm pretty sure the first is the mobo temp and the second is the CPU
> temp.

But *which* CPU temperature? The one delivered by the motherboard CPU
monitor or the one delivered by the CPU itself? (These appear to be
delivered as "CPU" and "chip" by xmbmon.)

BTW, cc me directly on replies if you want quick responses from me. All
my mail from the list goes into a separate mailbox which I don't check
so often.

cjs