Subject: Re: FFS_EI isn't mounting little on bigendian.
To: Charlie Allom <>
From: Simon Burge <>
List: current-users
Date: 05/30/2003 11:21:44
Charlie Allom wrote:

> I am running 1.6T on macppc and FFS_EI just isn't letting me either
> see or write the i386 disklabel.
> It complains (and only when in -e mode. This should be a bug!) that
> there may be a checksum error or label problem .. I will append the
> exact error once I get home to my machine, but I just wanted to check
> that you coudl do this?
> I have successfully mounted big endian on little. And the options(4)
> looks like it can be used both ways ..
> I thought the disklabel was the same on these architectures? Yes I
> have noted that the whole disk is 'c' not 'd'.

It's not in the same place on the disk:

i386/include/disklabel.h:#define        LABELSECTOR             1       /* sector containing label */
i386/include/disklabel.h:#define        LABELOFFSET             0       /* offset of label in sector */
macppc/include/disklabel.h:#define      LABELSECTOR     0               /* sector containing label */
macppc/include/disklabel.h:#define      LABELOFFSET     64              /* offset of label in sector */

I've found I've always needed to re-do the disklabel when I've moved
disks between architectures.  If there's a better way, I'm all ears :-)

Simon Burge                            <>
NetBSD Support and Service: