Subject: Re: Installing via
To: Richard Rauch <>
From: Luke Mewburn <>
List: current-users
Date: 05/23/2003 09:23:26
On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 05:17:10PM -0500, Richard Rauch wrote:
  | I hit an odd problem: I did "./ distribution" and then also "sets",
  | on my fastest machine, then as root on the laptop, over an NFS mount, I
  | attempted to do a "./ install".  This failed over a missing "pax"
  | ("nbpax"?) binary.

I've you've built the sets into the RELEASEDIR, why don't you just use
pax to extract them; something like:
	cd /
	pax -zrpe -f /path/to/releasedir/base.tgz
	pax -zrpe -f /path/to/releasedir/comp.tgz
	pax -zrpe -f /path/to/releasedir/games.tgz
	pax -zrpe -f /path/to/releasedir/man.tgz
	pax -zrpe -f /path/to/releasedir/misc.tgz
	pax -zrpe -f /path/to/releasedir/text.tgz
	mkdir /tmp/junk
	cd /tmp/junk
	pax -zrpe -f /path/to/releasedir/etc.tgz
	./etc/postinstall -s `pwd` check
	./etc/postinstall -s `pwd` fix
	cd /
	rm -rf /tmp/junk

That's what I do on my systems; you only need to share the RELEASEDIR
and not the entire build/objdir.

  | Also, everytime I run, nbmake seems to get rebuilt.  This doesn't
  | take *too* long, but is a bit annoying.  (Yes, I guess I could just build
  | sets and manually unpack them onto the laptop...)

Explicitly providing a TOOLDIR ($TOOLDIR, or -T ...) prevents this.

  | Is it supposed to work to "./ distribution && ./ install=/"?
  | Is there any reason why it should fail if the "install" is on another
  | machine?
  | For whatever it's worth, both machines are running NetBSD 1.6, differing
  | only in kernel configs and a tiny hack to the PCMCIA ne driver for the
  | laptop.
  | I guess for now I'll just untar everything but etc.tgz by hand on the
  | laptop, but I'd like to be able to do this using

(Excluding the fact that NetBSD 1.6's doesn't use the
"distribution and install=" syntax ... :-)
If you have src, obj, dest & releasedirs in the same file system
locations, it should work.  As I suggested above; I'd just extract the
sets on the non-build machine.